Watch this ABC News video on new construction consumer complaints;
New Home Woes: Shoddy Construction
Complaints about home builders increased more than 50 percent in five years.
Read the article here.
Read this blog on the problems found in this one new home.
Why you should be considering more than upgrades when building a new home
Having a new customized home built can be an exciting experience. Getting through the process however can be a long and at times difficult ordeal. People having a new home built often rely entirely on their builder to help guide them through the construction. Unfortunately he may not be the best person to advise them on their project. Consider the following:
- Home builders and most contractors involved in home construction are not licensed professionals
- No license means no mandated formal training, no continuing education, and minimal accountability
- City building inspectors check for code compliance, not quality
- City building inspectors usually spend less than 10 minnutes inspecting a home
- Codes do not cover all aspects of the building process
- Rough framing
- Rough mechanicals, electrical and plumbing (before insulation)
- Finished home